Thursday 20 June 2013

The Dummy Fairy

I think my son is going to have his dummy until he is 16. He is only coming up for two so we are not near the "totally embarrassing" stage yet but I would quite like to get it off him. I have started to sow the seed by telling him about the Dummy Fairy. I got carried away and my story got more and more elaborate. It is now in the following incarnation:

The Dummy Fairy 


Toby Brown is a lovely little boy.
He does as he is told and shares all his toys.
The only thing he would never leave ....
... is the battered old dummy he keeps up his sleeve.

It was grotty, it was chewed, it smelled kind of bad.
But on the matter of dummies Toby was a stubborn lad!
He kept it close, he kept it near.
Losing his dummy was his greatest fear.

One fateful day his Mummy said the dummy had to go.
These words came to Toby as a terrible blow.
"Dummy fairies need your dummies to stop the fairy babies crying".
Toby wondered whether or not his Mummy was lying!

"When fairy babies cry", she said, "the sky turns grey.
Rain thunders down and you can't go out to play.
You are now a big boy and don't need your dummy.
Giving it away would make happy fairy babies and a happy Mummy".

Reluctantly Toby agreed to give the dummy away.
He needed the sunshine as he loved going out to play.
That night the Dummy Fairy visited the sleeping Toby Brown.
She found the dummy under his pillow after having a good look around.

It was gifted to a very grumpy fairy child.
The baby's mood instantly changed from furious to mild.
When Toby Brown woke up the sun was shining in the sky.
This was all because a fairy baby had something to stop her cry.

I told this to my son. I didn't think he would instantly give up his dummy but I thought he might at least give it some thought. Wrong! "MY DUMMY" was his response!

1 comment: