Friday 31 May 2013

Sports Day

Today it was my daughter's nursery Sports Day and she WAS going to win according to herself. I never won anything in Sports Day during my childhood. I wasn't really that competitive. On reflection I think I thought I couldn't do it so I didn't try. My husband, on the other hand, was very sporty at school and very competitive by all accounts. My mini Jessica Ennis took part in two races and came second then third. Very respectable and she is uber chuffed that she got two stickers.

That was all well and good until the teacher uttered the dreaded words - Parent Race time. This was dreaded for two reasons, firstly I don't want to do it, secondly I know my husband will try to tan everyone else's asses and this could be embarrassing! I was correct on one count, true to form my husband forgot that he was at a preschool Sports Day and left everyone in his wake. He is endearingly proud of himself. All the other parents probably think we are total asses! I had asked him earlier why he had worn his old, grotty work shoes that day. It transpires that this was because they are comfy and he thought he would run faster in them. Like I said, he is competitive!

When it came to the mum's race I grudgingly lined up with the others. Then something crazy happened - it turns out I am competitive too!!! I felt I was going to come last for the first part so something in my brain switched and I ramped it up to come a respectable joint third! Who knew I was a competitive sports woman :) .

After the race everyone had a sticker apart from my son. My husband wasn't giving his up so I had to give him mine as he was crying. He lost it and I am ashamed to say I am a little gutted- I have never won anything at Sports Day before!

Vic x

1 comment:

  1. Well done everyone for winning your stickers! Tell hubby that he should not think that he can now have his sticker framed as that is a tad too sad!!

    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete